Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: My Humble Opinion

Like many Harry Potter fans, I grew up with Harry and his friends.  Of course I've read all the books multiple times and have grown to love these fictional characters.  (If you haven't read any of the books or seen the movies and are planning to, stop reading.  I'm about to blab what happens.)  I cried when Dumbledore died in book six.  Although I couldn't wait for book seven, it was bittersweet since it was the last.  I also cried through a lot of that book.  Dobby and Fred were my two favorite characters aside from the main three of course.  And alone in my room at 3 A.M. I balled my eyes out when Harry walked bravely into the forest to sacrifice himself.  When the Wonderful Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened in Orlando, me and my best friend hopped a plane to Florida and had a fantastic time.  I am still craving more butterbeer.

I saw the movie at midnight of course, fully dressed in my nerd gear as Bellatrix with my hostage Harry Potter.  I have to say the scene that Harry walks into the forest couldn't have been done any better.  I cried my eyes out like a crazy person because it was dead on and beautifully executed.  I didn't like some of the changes made such as Ron and Hermione knew that Harry would have to kill himself and were pretty ok with that.  I didn't like the fact that in the movie Voldemort grew weaker with each horcrux being destroyed.  I felt that it discredited Harry's fight.  I also wished they had included Harry's expelliarmus! spell because it shows his goodness.  To me, that was one of the most powerful parts in the book because despite the prophecy, Harry does not destroy Voldemort.  Voldemort destroys himself.   I prefer the final battle between Harry and Voldemort to be in front of the crowd because I enjoyed the relief and cheers.  A few small details I didn't care for were that Hagrid wasn't crying when he carried Harry's body out, which seemed untrue to his character and that Snape's tears were his memories...it makes sense, I just found it a little cheesy.  Especially when the guy in front of me asked, "Why does he want his tears?"

That being said I really liked the scene when Harry presented himself to Snape and McGonagall stepped in to defend him.  I realize for time purposes perhaps they didn't include Harry's struggle with his relationship with Dumbledore.  All the more reason to read the books if you haven't already.  I also find it interesting that the more J.K. Rowling discusses her life the more I see where her inspiration for characters and challenges come from. 

My hair is obviously no longer blond, but it's not purple either.  In some lighting though, it looks that way and guess what? I really like how I look with purple hair haha. Who knew?

Overall I really did like the movie and want to go see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment